News
Federal Polytechnic Bauchi Closed Indefinitely following students Protest Over Insecurity on Campus
The management of the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, on Tuesday , announced the Indefinite closure of the school following students protest over insecurity on campus.
The protesting students blocked the institution’s main gate to vent their grievances over what they described as rising insecurity on campus.
The demonstration followed a Monday night attack in which armed men reportedly stormed male student hostel, injuring many and carting away valuables including laptops, cash, and other belongings.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers inflicted varying degrees of injuries before fleeing. The injured students were later admitted to the school clinic.
Addressing the protesters earlier, the Deputy Rector appealed for calm and urged them to reopen the gates to allow normal activities to resume, promising that management would address their concerns. However, the students rejected the plea, insisting on immediate action.
President of the Students’ Union Government (SUG), Comrade Haruna Umar, condemned the robbery attack of students in their hostel on campus, imploring the management to quickly address insecurity in the Institution.
“We are protesting peacefully because yesterday some armed men came into the male school hostel and attacked our students, taking their properties,” he told journalists.
“Honestly, what happened was very unfortunate. This is the first time such a thing is happening in the Federal Polytechnic Bauchi. Some students cannot bear this, so they decided to protest. What you are seeing are students demonstrating their grievances to the management and the authorities.”
Before the students Union president could conclude the interview, police arrived the scene in several vehicles and dispersed the them as the protest began to spill onto the federal road, blocking travellers.
The protest soon caused a breakdown of social and economic activities in the surrounding area. Tensions escalated when suspected hoodlums tried to hijack the demonstration by blocking the federal highway near the campus.
Police were called in to restore order and fired tear gas canisters to disperse the crowd, which further angered the protesters. In retaliation, some students pelted the police with stones before being overpowered and dispersed. The standoff disrupted movement in and out of the polytechnic for several hours, leaving both staff and students stranded.
The public relations officer of the Polytechnic, Mr Rabiu Wada, confirmed that the Polytechnic had been close to prevent hoodlums hijacking the situation to cause disorder and lawlessness.
Wada explained that following the blocking of the main gate by the protesting students, both staff and students were were prevented from entering the school.
He said however that some students injured in the attack were hospitalized in the Polytechnic clinical while some were taken to hospital outside for treatment.
“Management of the Federal Polytechnic Bauchi has received the disturbing news of some unscrupulous elements who invaded the male students hostel, making away with their belongings and injuring about two students,” the management said in a statement signed by Kashim Salihu, the Registrar.
“Consequent upon this sad development, students came out of the Polytechnic Main Gate to express their justifiable frustration, calling on Management to act.
“While Management acted with immediately with all principal officers and management staff showing up to address the students and situation, it has been established that hoodlums who do not mean the students and the institution well had taken over what was meant to be a PEACEFUL PROTEST.
“Against the background of this ugly situation, the Management hereby orders the immediate closure of academic activities. By this order, STUDENTS ARE GIVEN TWO HOURS WITHIN WHICH TO VACATE THE POLYTECHNIC CAMPUS, until further notice”
Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer of the Bauchi State Police command, CSP Mohammed Wakil, told journalists via phone that the situation has been out under control.
Wakil assured that the security agencies were working closely with the management of the institution to prevent breakdown of law and order.
.
-
News2 days agoBauchi NAWOJ Wins National Award as Best Performing Chapter, Presents Honour to SA Media
-
News4 days agoJUST IN: Renowned Islamic Scholar Sheikh Dahiru Usman Bauchi Dies at 102
-
News6 days agoRAAMP: Bauchi, FG and Partners Flag Off Construction of 318 km Roads
-
News4 days agoBauchi Governor Mourns Renowned Islamic Scholar Sheikh Dahiru Usman Bauchi
-
News2 days agoOver 2 Million People Across the World Grace Interment of Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi
-
Education3 days agoWe Are Setting the Pace for the Future — FUHSA VC
-
News7 days agoGov Mohammed Mourns Abu Ali, Former Military Administrator of Bauchi State
-
News7 days agoBauchi Shuts All Schools Over Heightened Security Threats
